Old December 10th, 2007, 10:59 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
Marc Lurie[_1_]

Default Anti-malaria medication in Ethiopia

On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 16:30:23 GMT, grant kinsley
wrote:

I would suggest malarone over doxy as doxy needs to be taken 2 weeks
before and 6 weeks after travelling to risk areas. malarone is 1 week
prior and 2 weeks post.

As well photosensitivity can be an issue with doxy, and who wants to
have their vacation ruined by the sun...

Grant Kinsley (MD)

Hi Grant,

I'm not a doctor, so I don't speak with any authority on the subject,
but AFAIK, current medical opinion in South Africa regarding doxy is
that it can be taken 24 hours prior to entering a malarial area, and
need only be taken for 21 days after leaving the area.

I experience sun sensitivity on doxy, but that's insignifacnt compared
with the side effects of mefliam. I haven't tried malarone yet. I've
found doxy easy to tolerate, VERY cheap, and also protects me agains
other nasties like tick bite fever etc.

Also, doxy is easy to replace in most countries if you happen to lose
your luggage. ;-)

Cheers,
Marc