Old April 24th, 2010, 05:43 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
SMS

Default New York advice

On 24/04/10 1:49 AM, blackbat wrote:
On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 15:38:06 -0700,
wrote:

Check Venere.com and quikbook.com for good deals in NYC.

Good idea.

Last year we
stayed at Best Western Seaport Inn, near the Brooklyn Bridge. We had
kids 11& 15 with us. It had some advantages over the Times Square area:
1. Very large room with 2 queens and a refrigerator. 2. Free breakfast.
3. Free wi-fi. 4. Close to Battery Park and S.O.L.. 5. Close to
Chinatown for cheap good food. 6. Not too far from two different subway
lines. 7. Close to Jack's Stir Brew, the best coffee in NYC. 8. Less
expensive than other areas of Manhattan, though still $199/night. 9.
Afternoon fresh cookies. We did a lot of walking, from South Seaport
through Chinatown and the lower east side then through the village and
up to midtown.

This is really useful.
Thanks for such an in-depth answer.

"http://www.seaportinn.com/new-york-suites.php"

What sort of price might I expect to pay for a cab from either
airport?

I think a cab is about $60-65 by the time you pay all the tolls and
tips. but with five people you'll need two cabs unless there are
mini-van cabs, since a car can only hold five people, including the
driver (alas, there are no Checker Marathon cabs left in NYC).

Amazingly, I was able to convince everyone in my family to take only one
carry-on suitcase plus a day pack. This saved a lot of money, not only
in cabs, but on the plane too, because most of the U.S. airlines charge
for checked luggage now. I always plan on doing laundry on trips. Most
hotels have coin-op laundries, but I don't think in NYC many do.

This sounds great, but I'd need to get my wife used to a bike in time.

They may rent tandems. This is where we rented bikes:

"http://pedalpusherbikeshop.com/articles/rental-information-not-may-3rd-bike-newyork-pg42.htm"
They have a coupon for helmets at
"http://pedalpusherbikeshop.com/coupons/helmet-coupons-purchase-or-rental-pg91.htm".
Send the women to Macy's and Bloomingdales and you go on a bike ride. I
thought it was expensive, but it was the least expensive rental place in
NYC. Since you drive on the wrong side of the road in the U.K., be careful.

Not when in NVC but after that even I don't mind one day at a mall.
USA malls are great for me, I have big feet and have difficulty
getting shoes to fit in the UK so tend to stock up in the States.

Yeah, actually the time I head to the outlet mall is for shoes because
the stores have a much better selection of large sizes. The Skechers
store was especially good, with a very large selection of large sizes
and wide widths.