Old November 20th, 2004, 10:29 AM
Mxsmanic

Jeremy Henderson writes:

In fact I am mystied by the idea of printing your photos at home - you
have to buy a printer, mess with inks, buy special paper in a variety
of sizes, experiment with setting up the parameters, and wait for the
thing to print out. Then you have a print that will probably fade
rapidly in sunlight.

I agree. That's why I think photo labs will become the preferred source
of prints in the future. Internet print services have a future,
too--they will be cheaper but slower than the photo labs.

Home printers will be useful only for those who are hellbent on printing
their own photos at any price, and for some artists who want to achieve
special effects.

Note that home printing of black and white can produce beautiful
results, but it still requires a dedicated printer, special inks,
special papers, etc. It's not identical to a chemical print, but it's
still very nice. Color, on the other hand, is always inferior to lab
prints.

The alternative is to upload your photos to a photo service and next
day pick up your gleaming prints from their store (I recommend Photo
Service in Frogland - which I tried out at Mixi's suggestion).

Have you used their Internet service, then? What do you think? I've
only used them in person.