Old July 2nd, 2004, 11:22 PM
Paul E. Lehmann

Default Two Houston questions - Referring to the Astros and NASA

Lou Minatti wrote:

"Paul E. Lehmann" wrote in message
MC wrote:
Houston
is HORRIBLE when it comes to public transport. Most Houstonians perfer
to drive a car - even if they are the only occupant.

As do citizens of just about every other city in the US outside of
NYC, Boston and perhaps Chicago and San Francisco proper.

For a City its size Houston probably ranks WORST for public transportation.

The Gulf Freeway which
you will need to travel on to get to NASA can get VERY congested so be
prepared for slow traffic and traffic jams.

Compared to traffic on the Capital Beltway, Houston's traffic is a
piece of cake.

I now live in the DC area. Your statement is NOT true.

As we all know, Washington DC is an absolute paradise in the
summertime. And wasn't Washington DC also built on a swamp?

Yes, it was but - the mass transit it DC is pretty damn good - Houston's is
almost non existent.

There are only two saving graces about Houston.
Houston has some of the best food and the most beautiful women to be
found anywhere.

That's odd. I wonder why the Places Rated Almanac ranked Houston #8
out of 354 metropolitan areas for good places to live?

Beats me. Maybe the raters make money the good ole fashion Houston way -
they are easily bribed or bought outright.

Seems to me
that if Houston was as horrible as you claim, its population would be
shrinking, like it is in Washington, DC. Yet Houston added 20% to its
population between 1990-2000. Your claims about Houston being a
horrible place appear to be at odds with the 640,000 or so who moved
here recently.

There are suckers born every moment. Some people are attracted because
Texas doesn't have a state income tas - YET. It won't belong,however,
before they are forced to have one. Houston also APPARENTLY has
inexpensive housing - UNTIL one finds out the cost of house insurance
because of the so called toxic mold problems AND the very high cost of
electricity to cool their homes in a near HELL like environment.

Have we talked air quality yet? Houston has some of the WORST in the nation
and has even beat Los Angeles for unhealthy air. Of course, the die hard
Houston lovers call it "The smell of money".

Have we talked about very high cancer incidence rates yet? Look at a
incidence map for the United States.

I am glad you love Houston so much. STAY THERE.