Old May 17th, 2007, 04:21 PM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,uk.politics.misc,aus.politics,rec.travel.europe,alt.politics.economics
Mani Deli

Default Anger on the left

On 17 May 2007 02:57:58 -0700, PJ O'Donovan wrote:

The Anger Of The Left
By Thomas Sowell

www.nationwidespeakers.com/speaker/217
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Sowell

Particular issues can arouse passions here and there for anyone with
any political views. But, for many on the left, indignation is not a
sometime thing. It is a way of life.

Lush Bimbo isn't indignant is he?

Here's what our mission accomplished I'm sure non of this bothers
you!

By Derrick Z. Jackson, Globe Columnist

THESE ARE just some of the stories on the four-year anniversary of
Mission Accomplished:

Washington Post: "The deaths of more than 100 troops in April made it
the deadliest month so far this year for US forces in Iraq."

Los Angeles Times: "April was even more devastating for Iraqi
civilians. More than 1,500 were killed in bombings, assassinations and
sectarian violence."

New York Times: "In a troubling sign for the American-financed
rebuilding program in Iraq, inspectors for a federal oversight agency
have found that in a sampling of eight projects that the United States
had declared successful, seven were no longer operating as designed
because of plumbing and electrical failures, lack of proper
maintenance, apparent looting, and expensive equipment that lay idle."

Boston Globe: "Deaths and injuries from terrorist attacks increased
sharply last year, particularly in Iraq and Afghanistan, with
government officials, police, and security guards coming under greater
attack than ever before . . . more than 20,000 people died and more
than 38,000 were injured . . . an increase of 6,000 deaths or more
than 40 percent over 2005, according to [the State Department]."

This is four years after President Bush staged one of the gaudiest
self-congratulations in American history.

He landed on the USS Abraham Lincoln in a jet fighter, popped out in a
flight jumpsuit and proclaimed major combat operations to be over in
Iraq under the now-infamous banner, "Mission Accomplished."

It is four years after Bush said, "We do not know the day of final
victory, but we have seen the turning of the tide. No act of the
terrorists will change our purpose, or weaken our resolve, or alter
their fate. Their cause is lost."

Bush's cause is so lost that 71 percent of Americans disagree with his
handling of Iraq in the latest New York Times/CBS poll and 64 percent
say Bush should set a timetable for troop withdrawal in 2008.

By a 57 percent-to-35 percent tally in that poll, Americans say
Congress, not Bush, should have the final say about troop levels.

Similarly, in the latest Wall Street Journal/NBC poll, Americans say
by 56 percent to 37 percent they agree with the Democrats' push for a
troop withdrawal deadline over Bush's refusal to set a deadline.

Bush's cause is so lost that people are turning on him wherever he
turns, from former CIA director George Tenet to the family of Pat
Tillman, who calls the military's glorification of his death in
Afghanistan "utter fiction," and soldier Jessica Lynch, who said the
military's glorification of her capture and rescue in Iraq was utterly
unnecessary.

"The American people are capable of determining their own ideals for
heroes and they don't need to be told elaborate lies," she told a
congressional oversight panel last week.

This, not to mention Abu Ghraib, was all inevitable in a war that
itself was an elaborate lie.

With no weapons of mass destruction, no proof that Saddam Hussein was
tied to 9/11, Al Qaeda, or an imminent threat himself, America was led
by fiction into a disaster that has now claimed 3,351 US soldiers,
3,211 of the deaths coming AFTER Bush declared major combat operations
to be OVER.

The civilian toll will probably never be accurately known, since US
military officials famously said "we don't do body counts."

Numbers range from the conservative 60,000s of Iraq Body Count to the
600,000 of the medical journal Lancet.

Last week, the United Nations criticized Iraqi officials for not
providing civilian casualty figures.

The United Nations estimates that the continuing violence claimed
34,452 civilian lives last year.

The Iraqi government says the number was 12,357.

Yesterday, Bush continued to do violence to history by going to
Central Command in Tampa to once again string together 9/11 and Al
Qaeda and Nazis and communists into Saddam and Iraq.

Bush said, "Four years ago, we confronted a brutal tyrant who had used
weapons of mass destruction, supported terrorists, invaded his
neighbors, oppressed his people, and tested the resolve and the
credibility of the United Nations."

Four years later, we know what mission was truly accomplished. Bush
destroyed the credibility of his presidency and degraded America's
standing in the world for years to come.

Whatever he tried to accomplish, America is saying the mission is
over.