Old July 11th, 2005, 02:57 PM
JohnM

In article , Raymond
writes
HI,

I like to think that I am not spooked very easily. We have been to
Jordan and other so-called dodgy places , however.

There are four of us going to South Africa in September for three
weeks and we shall hire a car. We will be in the Captown area for
three days, fly to Durban then make our way up to Kruger via some as
yet unplanned route. We have purchased our air tickets so we really
are going.

The vehicle we will use will be a 4x4, a Ford Explorer or the like.
Now the question, some folk would have us believe that in such a
vehicle the probability of it being hijacked is very high (like almost
one). Surley this is rubbish yes? Who would try and take a car from
four people? This has got to represent a high risk from the bandits
point of viw.

You said it yourself. Carjacking is not as big a problem as they make it
out to be. But if carjackers do come to you with a gun, one or four
people makes no difference.

I would be more careful regarding stolen radios etc from cars. I met two
separate people who had rented cars in South Africa who had the car
radios stolen overnight. Be careful with the insurance terms and if
possible get a removable radio and remove it.

I would recommend going up the coast from Durban to St Lucia, reaching
the Kruger via Swaziland, so check if you can take the car through
Swaziland.

Incidentally 3 days in Cape Town is not enough.
--
JohnM
Author of Brazil: Life, Blood, Soul &