Old June 29th, 2007, 04:00 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell

Default Chinese (and other) pilots unable to speak English pose danger for air travel (CNN)

"El Maximo" wrote in message
"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com wrote in message
news

If Won Wing Low had been the Father of Aviation, it could have been!

Allegedly, a Pan Am 727 flight waiting for start clearance in Munich
overheard the following:
Lufthansa (in German): "Ground, what is our start clearance time?"
Ground (in English): "If you want an answer you must speak in English."
Lufthansa (in English): "I am a German, flying a German airplane, in
Germany. Why must I speak English?"
Unknown voice from another plane (in a beautiful British accent): "Because
you lost the bloody war."

I think we can all rest assured teach the world to speak understandable
English is not a long term problem. Everything will be going to Spanish in a
few years anyway.