Old September 28th, 2004, 01:15 AM
Charles Hawtrey

Obeying those funny little voices, "Elmwood"
wrote:

Rick Steves says to wash your socks out in the hotel sink at night. He even
suggests that you bring a small squirt bottle of detergent along with you to
keep costs down.
I would like to buy some of these fast drying socks, Please advise me on
what fabric the socks should be made of, in order to be dry by morning. I
have in the past had socks take much longer to dry in Europe in the winter.
What is this special "overnight drying sock"

Most synthetics (polyester, nylon, etc.) dry quickly. Most natural
materials (cotton and wool) don't. To speed drying take advantage of
any obvious heat source, such as a radiator or towel warmer.

Someone mentioned silk, which I'm not familiar with.

Instead of a squirt bottle of liquid detergent take some powdered
detergent in a small plastic bottle. Less chance of messy spills.

I will ask about quick-dry underwear in the next posting!

Socks are about the limit for me. I'd rather spend my time having fun
than washing stuff in the sink.

--
Cases heard in U.S. civil and criminal courts as posted on the
American Bar Association's online magazine: