Old April 2nd, 2004, 01:19 AM
David Brooks

Default Breaking News: AA and UA to merge!

"Scott M. Kozel" wrote in message
Cub Driver warbird@mail wrote:

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 20:37:51 -0500, "Bob" wrote:

Just announced, American and United have agreed to merge by the end of

the
year.

Surely an April Fool! United wouldn't demean its frequent-flyer
program by merging it with AA's, surely?

April Fool's joke indeed, although the original poster screwed up by
posting it too early (Eastern Standard Time produced the above date-time
stamp). Not April 1st in the U.S. or anywhere to the west.

You mean, when I played April Fool jokes back in England, I had to wait till
5am just in case some American heard about it and found it unfunny? That
time I was in New Zealand in spring (or "autumn" as they call it), I had to
wait until, like, April 3?

I think the OP was in Aus (check the crosspost). If he had waited until the
East Coasters allowed the joke, he would have been subject to the "not funny
after midday" rule at home. Damned if you do, damned if you don't, damned if
it wasn't funny anyway.

Have I let all the air out of this one now?

-- David Brooks