Old February 20th, 2006, 06:48 AM posted to rec.travel.air

Default Air France? Ptui!

wrote:
However, I decided that insurance would
be worth its high premium -- about 10 percent of
the total cost of the fares -- ONLY if I required
refunds if the trip had to be cancelled. The
alternative to receiving a refund, of course, is
to accept credit for future services, minus
the cost of reasonable administrative fees.
I reasoned that no reputable business would
refuse to negotiate this. With more than a month
to go before the start of the trip, United
Air and the tour operator DID negotiate it;
instantly, by phone. (...and I didn't have to
check for NONEGOT on my receipts, haha.)

Are the written restrictions for the UA, tour operator, and Air France
the same? Or... Is it possible their WRITTEN restrictions were
different. As you have pointed out, the published restrictions for your
ticket from Air France indicated the ticket was nonrefundable and
nonchangeable.

If all were as easily to resolve as you state, why do you think travel
insurance is a big business? Now, you have indicated it was offered to
you, but you declined it. What, did you think the insurance was for?