Old March 23rd, 2006, 08:53 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

Default Vic Falls

Went to the Falls with my wife in October last.
Stayed in Zambezi Sun - yes, big, but very relaxed and we enjoyed it a lot.
BUT
The Falls at that time were so low that the Zambia side was the wrong side
to be on.
Very poor viewing - you could walk out over part of the Falls.
Eventually had to take a taxi over the border to Zim to see the Falls from
there.
Great view but ripped off at border - govt tax to cross was $50 per person.
Regretted we had not stayed on the Zim side in a hotel there.
Seemed all very safe in Zim.
Did not visit Livingston - advised nothing there worth seeing.
They did say that when the Falls are in full flow then it's a toss up which
side to stay.
Dee

"Rodger" wrote in message
Hmm, big ugly commercial hotel. Perhaps try Gorges Lodge or Ilala Lodge,
they are both a lot smaller and more intimate. Gorges has magnificent
views from their balconies... not for the feint hearter though. Everything
is fine on the Zim side. They realise tourism means money so really lok
after the guests. Ilala Lodge is within walking distance to Vic Falls town
and the falls itself.

"Dave Patterson" wrote in message
I am setting up a short visit for an old
friend and his wife and son.. and our
discussions have now already caused him
to select the Zambezi Sun hotel, on the
Zambian side. Child-friendly, good price.
So, I think I would now ask for anyone's
experience with a specific Guide in Zambia,
and any comments on shopping, etc.,
in Livingstone.
True, I have been to the Zim side numerous times,
but never to Zambia!