Old October 17th, 2006, 08:33 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,misc.consumers,soc.culture.french,alt.gossip.celebrities
Barry Gold

Default Air France? Ptui!

qu'est-ce que c'est wrote:
[snip]
People just don't understand: The French have no concept of "customer
service". They don't know what it is, they don't undersand how it
works, it is totally foreign to their culture.

To the French, the customer is the enemy. French workers HATE their
customers, almost as much as they hate having to show up for work (to
do nothing for 35 hours a week while drawing full benefits and getting
6 weeks mandatory paid vacation per year).

[snip]

I dunno. I've gotten excellent service from:
Hotel concierges
Waiters in good restaurants
Proprietors of fruit stands and delis

I've even gotten good service from taxi drivers, although I've
also gotten such *bad* service that I had to have the concierge
send them away (e.g., arriving 45 min. early for a pre-arranged
appointment and expecting me to pay for waiting time -- I just had

Overall, I've found the French helpful if you will just take the
trouble to learn a few hundred words of French and use them. OTOH, if
you think that they ought to speak English because that is the right
and proper language, you are likely to get what you deserve. (The
bare _attempt_ to stumble through a sentence in French was enough to
get me smiling help -- in English.)

OTOH, when it comes to a "business" that is run by the government,
like Air France, well, you can expect about as much service as you
would from, say, the INS in the US. Or perhaps I should say that you
should expect to get "serviced".
the concierge call me another cab).

--
I pledge allegiance to the Constitution of the United States of America, and
to the republic which it established, one nation from many peoples, promising