Old May 30th, 2011, 05:13 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Janet Wilder

Default Passenger missed cruise

On 5/29/2011 10:50 PM, Goomba wrote:
Charles wrote:
In article , Patricia
Martin Steward wrote:

Word. Plus, the article doesn't make it clear whether they were
flying on the same day -- only says two flights were delayed. NEVER
fly on the same day. Never never never.

A good travel agent would have suggested that that they fly in a day
early.

One doesn't need a travel agent at all if one takes the initiative to
research what they're doing. You make it sound like first time cruisers
are universally stupid, and I disagree. Sure some want and need someone
else to hold their wee hand every inch of the way, but I sure wasn't
like that!

Sometimes I use a travel agent to get me perks like onboard credit. I
transfer the booking after I've picked out my cabin and put down my deposit.

Right now I'm using a TA for the Russia cruise. It's an online company
that has a department that specializes in river cruising. I got a much
better price from them than I did dealing directly with the cruise line.
Of course I called the cruise line first.

Most ocean cruise lines offer the same price as the TA offers. I will
sometimes book my own cruise and transfer it to a TA for OBC or prepaid
gratuities.

The TA gave me the price and flight information from the cruise line's
package. The flight to Moscow did not have enough time between planes
for my security. The flight back is identical to the one we booked and
I saved us several hundred dollars through Expedia. We purchased the
transfers from the cruise line and still came out way ahead.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas