Old August 26th, 2006, 11:33 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
PeterL

Default Bridge Tolls, No Cash?

Runge wrote:
and if you just were a foreign tourist ?

They'll send a ticket to the owner of the car.

"PeterL" a écrit dans le message de news:

Sapphyre wrote:
Hi,

I was in a situation, or almost in a situation, and just want to
know... "What would have happened??"

I was crossing from Oakland area to San Rafael, and because there is no
toll heading Southbound, I didn't know there was a Northbound toll.
Generally this kind of thing isn't a problem, but at the time, I had no
US cash on me. I was just heading an hour north of San Rafael to return
to my friend's place, to pack everything up and head to Reno, so at the
time, I didn't really need the cash.

Thankfully, my friend was in the car, and although he didn't know of
the toll either (because he didn't drive that way, he only knew of a
toll on the Golden Gate), he did happen to have cash and paid it.

So what would have happened if neither of us COULD pay the toll? What
do they do? I'm not exactly in a position to turn around on the bridge,
to rip them off either, but as far as I know, unless I'm wrong on this
one... cash is all they take.

Just wanted to know... I'm going to be wiser and make sure I keep some
small bills for emergencies, just in case this ever happens again. I
lasted in the US up until five days before I left with a supply of
change and one's for vending machines, tolls and laundry... I guess I
should have tried to last longer at that...

S.

You would leave some information with the toll collector, an address or
something like that, with your photo id to show it's your real address,
with a promise to pay.