Old July 9th, 2006, 02:45 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Citizen Ted

Default Madrid to bid for 2016 Olympics

On Fri, 7 Jul 2006 08:31:27 -0600, "Casey"
wrote:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/othe...12/5154730.stm

I think Madrid would make a great host city. But on the subject of
European travel, did Madrid make any improvements to its public
transport system in anticipation for the (losing) 2012 bid? What
improvements did it plan to make if it won?

I feel sorry for the average Madridian. Hosting the Olympics is a huge
drain on the municipal economy, as well as a multi-year upheaval for
the residents. In many cases those big, fancy sports complexes become
eyesores and tax drains.

IMHO, the summer Olympics should be held at Athens in perpetuity. They
invented the Games and it is the Athenians to whom we tip our hats
when we consider the spirit of the Games. I have grown weary of the
silly power trips and the pathetic groveling that cities exhibit when
it comes to begging for a spot as host city. It's childish and stupid.

I say we all pitch in and create in Athens the most impressive and
efficient Olympic facilities humanity has ever known. We'll make
Athens a key destination every four years. The facilities will become
a boon for the city rather than a drain. And the Greek economy will
get a much-needed regular shot in the arm. I've never been to Greece,
but I'm sure it's lovely. I'd be happy to attend the games there.

As for the rest of us? We can still do the year-long "passing of the
torch" around the world. We can make a big deal out of it and have
certain cities host the torch for a day or two so tourists can gape at
it.

Return the Olympic games to Olympus! Run the marathon from Marathon to
Athens! Have the athletes perform nekkid! Give the winners a lousy
sprig of laurel, then immortalize them in song and statuary! THAT'S
the Olympics, bitches! Not a bunch of self-absorbed municipal
politicians brokering deals with their brother-in-law's construction
company. **** the politics! Let's play Games!

- TR