Old September 6th, 2012, 04:32 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
irwell

Default Whitby, as seen in 1921

On Tue, 04 Sep 2012 21:57:31 +0100, Jack Campin wrote:

I just spent a week in Whitby for their folk festival. Booked a flat
from an agency we'd used before,and basically knew my way around, so
didn't have that much need for a guidebook. But anyway I brought the
1921 edition of a red cloth Ward Lock guide.

It covered pretty much everything I wanted to know. The one thing it
didn't cover was Dracula. No mention of the book, or of Bram Stoker,
at all. So if you wanted to know where the Goth connection came from
the little red book wasn't going to tell you.

There is an annotated version of Bram Stoker's "Dracula",
probably explains it in there. I read it whilst in hospital,
one of the nurses thought it was an odd choice of a book
to read in a hospital.