Old January 5th, 2013, 08:08 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erilar

Default gelato Ummm.........

Dan Stephenson wrote:
And another thing, that mystifies me, is why there is no gelato in
America. Yeah, MAYBE you can find something calling itself that in the
freezer section in the supermarket, but that is not the same.

Probably my favorite gelato, EVER, is from Nico's on the south of the
main rialtine island of Venice. Half chocolate, half blueberry. How it
is possible for simultaneously experience the most rich chocolate
possible and the fruitiest sweet blueberries, is just magic to me.

How can such a thing not be everywhere in the USA? For goodness sake, we
have ice cream shops everywhere -- but no gelato? what am I missing?

http://stepheda.com/Venice_2005/Breakfasts.html

My grandson told me a while ago that it could be found somewhere in the
Chicago area, but I an awaiting proof next time I get down there(which I
only manage twice a year). A local grocery store here claims to have it in
its freezer section, but I believe that so little that I haven't even tried
one of its three boring flavors.

I fell in love with "italienisches Eis" long ago in Germany. More recently
I actually visited Sicily and was spoiled even worse. We have some good
ice cream in the US, but it is a different thing entirely.

On 2013-01-04 15:25:25 -0600, Stephen Ellenson said:

....... does anyone actually discuss travel in this newsgroup anymore?????

I replied to one about German and dialects not long ago. That was the
closest I remember.

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad