Old November 15th, 2007, 01:45 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Janet Wilder

Default An American's Impressions

Frank Slootweg wrote:
Janet Wilder wrote:
Frank Slootweg wrote:
wrote:
We have just returned from our 3 week cruise-tour of Australia and New
Zealand. W
Great report and thanks!!

I live in the States and have never been to Aussie land
but want to someday
A warning: Only do it if you can afford to come back!

Our once-in-a-lifetime trip to Australia was in 1995. Next year we
will go on our seventh-in-a-lifetime one! :-) It's a sickness and -
luckily - there's no cure. So don't say 'we' didn't warn you!

What will keep it a "once in a lifetime" trip for us is the plane ride.
Don't think we can handle that again.

It's not our favorite part either, especially not on the way back, but
since there is no other way to get there ...

What helps us is not to think how much longer it will take, because
that will drive you crazy. I.e. we are in the plane and 'suddenly' we're
out of it. Also we go into a kind of zombie mode, i.e. we absolutely
don't do anything significant, we're just there. Probably sounds silly,
but it works for us.

What also helps is a good/friendly airline. Contrary to all the
whingers, *we* loved Qantas, but they only fly out of London or
Frankfurt and we hate to spend another five our so hours for those small
hops. The last two times and the next time was/is Singapore Airlines,
highly recommended, especially if the plane is only one third full and
the steward serves you cappuccino from First Class (Granted, that
happened only once :-), but was a great experience.)

But nevermind all this, you *will* come back or I'll eat my wooden
shoes!

We flew domestic flights in Australia on Qantas. Wouldn't use them
again. The overseas flight was on United. The fact that the little
bottles of wine are free for international travel made the trip a bit
easier :-).

The flight from Sydney to San Francisco was terribly bumpy, but the wine
helped a lot.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation