Old January 18th, 2012, 07:45 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

Default Is there an app for that?

Tom K wrote:

My Garmin hand held showed a sky full of satellites. And my hand held
Garmin caught a signal in less than 60 seconds while Charles' iPhone took
much longer. And mine didn't catch at all.

So don't count on it.

The iPhone GPS is assisted GPS. That means that the cell network provides
an assist. If you are not connected to the cell network the GPS will take a
lot longer to get the signal.

Another oddity on the ship, the Nieuw Amsterdam was that I had no problem
recieving and sending text messages with my AT&T iPhone when connected to
Cellular at Sea. Tom had issues with his Verizon iPhone.

--
Charles