Old March 9th, 2014, 08:09 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim.....

Default Oporto, Portugal for Short Break

"EX_OWM" wrote in message ...

Jack Campin wrote:
We are looking at a short break (5 nights) around 20th May. Oporto
in Portugal has come top of our list due to flight
availability/price.

Oporto won Best European Destination award last year, is it *really*
that good or was that some sort of fluke?

A couple in our 60's, we are not 'beach people' nor 'shop until you
drop' types, we are mainly interested in wandering around old places
and finding a nice park/garden where we can sit and relax. A bit of
light entertainment nearby in the evenings would be a bonus but not
a necessity.

Are you fit enough to deal with hills? Porto has lots of them - it
has a dramatic setting up the steep side of the river valley.

That's good to know. Hills aren't generally a problem for us but we would
prefer the hotel not to be at the top of a really steep one if we are going
to be walking to and from it a lot.

You don't need to walk up and down the hill

You can use the Funicular

https://plus.google.com/116708016601...ut?gl=uk&hl=en

Included in a "day pass" (I think), though it does have the most complicated
system for ticket prices that I have ever seen, if you want to travel
outside of one zone [1] - and South of the river is in a different zone to
North of the river

[1] As an example the number of zones that you need to buy for the return
journey is not always the same as the outward, even if you go via exactly
the same route

tim