Old March 6th, 2010, 04:18 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_2_]

Default Lessons learned cruising

Seehorse Video plucked Senior Frog's Magic Twanger and said On 3/2/2010
5:27 PM:
Hi All,

Seems like there have been several inquiries recently from first time
cruisers seeking information. It brought to mind some lessons I learned too
late. When we went to the South Pacific, we came upon black pearls, a
pricey bauble about which I had no knowledge. The shops said their prices
were good, but I didn't know what prices should be. I wish I had studied
ahead of time and been ready to buy.

On another cruise, we went to some jewelry shops in Columbia to look for
emeralds. This time, I had an idea of price, but I had no idea how willing
to haggle the clerks were. One literally chased us out to our taxi trying
to get down to a price we would pay.

These are things I wouldn't have known to ask about ahead of time, but an
experienced cruiser could have clued me in. What about the rest of you, are
there lessons you can share to help the newbies better prepare? A little
knowledge can be a wonderful thing, unless it's learned too late.

Harry Cooper

Harry, on the Holland America Lines cruises I've been on each time
before going ashore they offered some quick tips about what to see, and
how to shop. They even gave us these little booklets advising how to
get the best price. These mini seminars are usually offered in the
morning, so if you are a late riser you may miss them.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera

View My Web Pages: http://home.earthlink.net/~brian1951