Old March 6th, 2004, 06:59 PM
Dave Proctor

Default Driving on the unaccustomed side of the road

On 06 Mar 2004 07:48:29 GMT, ojunk (John0714) wrote:

This past November and December I drove extensively in the area bounded by
Adeaide, Brisbane, and Melbourne, or whatever I am an American who has driven
in the USA and Canada for 40 years. I found driving on the left often quite
disconcerting. Several times I got on the wrong side and got pulled over by the
police. No tickets or accidents unfortunately. But I feel I am living on
borrowed time and thus may never be back to anywhere you drive on the left
since vacations without automobiles I have found very unsatisfying.

I would be interested in others' experiences on driving on the unacustomed side
of the road anywhere in the world. Would you care to share?

I never have a problem with the actual driving as long as there is
traffic around. I find it easy to stay on the correct side as I merely
follow the other traffic.

Where I have problems is when the road is deserted, I often find
myself on the wrong side. I also have trouble remembering to reverse
the sides I look to - instead of "right, left, right" it becomes
"left, right, left".

I also have trouble reverse parking on right-hand drive systems, but
then I have trouble reverse parking on the right hand side of one-way
streets as it is, the angles are all wrong.

Dave

=====

NSW Rural Fire Service - become a volunteer today.

http://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/