Old August 28th, 2005, 10:31 AM
Corné

Haha.... so now my e-mail correspondence with Gerald is according to you
represantive for the SA tourist industry? Hmm.... that's quit

generalizing,
not so nice Liz!

I have absolutely no details of your e-mail correspondence with
Gerald.

There was no e-mail correspondence with him privately, but only in this NG.

I was writing about my own experiences, in the plural, with different
companies. Neither them, nor your conduct on this newsgroup, give a
good impression of the 'service' offered by certain SA companies.

Well.... I've read several NG with postings from Indians, American's,
British, German's etc. etc. and you can always find something.... like when
I was in Canada and Alaska. Canadians made a very good impression on me, I
cannot say that from the American's. But that doesn't count for all of them.

Among my friends/acquaintances/colleagues who have travelled in SA,
their experiences have either been very good or appalling, about
50-50: the actual service in lodges/camps/hotels (even some relatively
expensive ones) being the differentiating factor. By contrast, I
haven't heard of instances of bad service in the tourist lodges and
camps in Kenya or Tz, though I'm sure there must be some. Also good
reports from me and people I know who've been to Namibia.

The experiences my friends/acquaintances/colleagues have in Botswana are
that the people there are very unfriendly, even a touroperator (located in
Maun) has that experience. Kenia seems to be worse, although locals in
Zimbabwe and Namibia seemed very friendly.

In SA it's definitely a case of caveat emptor.

Judging others.... not so nice Liz. It is not all that simple.

But, as I said, it's better to know *before* making a booking.
Or rather, to prevent making a booking.
Just remember, you and your stroppy colleagues are seen as
representing your country's tourism industry, whether you like it or
not.

.....you and your stroppy colleagues..... Look, I was making a point in
this NG against Gerald. What you are doing here seems to come out of
frustration?
Remember, I am not a South Africa, in case you didn't know.....

Anyway, thanks for your contributing comments. We all know where you stand
know. If you wish to make bookings I can refer you to some very
cheap/nice/friendly/caretaking lodges.

Have a good life!

Corné.

www.amukela.com