Old February 2nd, 2011, 01:45 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.usa-canada
S Viemeister[_2_]

Default Packing an 'electronics kit'?

On 2/2/2011 8:22 AM, Terry Pinnell wrote:
I'm shortly flying from Heathrow to Los Angeles by Virgin Atlantic. I have
a gift for each of my two grandsons. One is a jigsaw, no problem. The
other, for the 6 year old, is this beginner's electronic kit:
http://www.quasarelectronics.co.uk/i...ab/30-in-1.jpg
described here
http://www.quasarelectronics.co.uk/m...kit-mx-903.htm

I'm a bit nervous about whether it will attract attention in the X-ray
scan or whatever. Should I pack it in my large case, or try to get it in
my hand-baggage (a small rucksack)? If packing it in the hold luggage, is
it OK to gift wrap it, or is that likely to get opened and spoiled?

Gifts like this must be fairly commonplace so I'm probably being unduly
apprehensive, but I'd appreciate any advice please.

I routinely carry electronic stuff to/from the US - do NOT gift wrap it.
I pack the gift wrap, and wrap gifts when I arrive. At check-in I
generally am asked about anything electronic in my bags, and have
occasionally had my bags opened and thoroughly searched.
Pack it in your hold luggage.