Old March 9th, 2004, 05:08 PM
Miguel Cruz

Default Knee Defenders

Miss L. Toe wrote:
"me" wrote:
This is coming up alot lately. I'm not honestly sure where this
perception comes from that there are any "rights" either way.
However, considering that not all seats recline, and the only time
they do recline is when the volume in use can be used in a
"dual use" mode, it would seem that reclining isn't a "right"
but a "luxury". Using the work surface is also a luxury. As such,
no one has "rights" to claim. If fact, it would seem that the
airline could consider this a perk which they could assign
based upon their business needs. With respect to the knee defender,
"first come first serve" would seem to apply to some extent.
The alternative would seem to be some sort of communal "each according
to their needs" kind of comparison. Or, the capitalist model of
"to the highest bidder". But rights just doesn't seem an applicable
concept.

But shirley, if you book a seat which reclines then that is part of what
you have purchased, everyone knows most airline seats recline.

Many people also know that the seats push forward from behind. Have I
therefore booked a seat with an adjustable wall in front of it?

I booked a seat with a light switch above it; can I flash the light on and
off every few seconds for 12 hours? Can I slam my tray table up and down?

The cabin features are available for use so long as they don't make others
miserable. There's no law that I says I am allowed to do everything I am
capable of doing, even if this capability came as part of the price of
passage.

miguel
--
Hundreds of travel photos from around the world: http://travel.u.nu/