Old July 27th, 2008, 05:35 PM posted to alt.rec.camping,alt.rv,alt.travel.canada,rec.outdoors.rv-travel,rec.travel.usa-canada
Dennis[_2_]

Default Watch out for Credit Card fees when travelling to Canada

Yep, and it didn't cost CITI one penny more to do the Canadian transactions.

"Rtavi" wrote in message
We just got back from a 2 month trip to East Coast and Canada.--
Beautiful and loved it despite $1.59/Liter for diesel!
I have always been told to use a credit card when out of the US since you
get the benefit of paying in Canada Dollars which are running at about
$.95 US then the credit card company converts your charge to $US. As far
as this goes, it is true and I saved about $25 when the transactions were
posted. What I was not aware of was that CITI card charges a "Foreign
Transaction Fee" on every purchase. This totaled up to a charge of over
$100 US. It's my fault for not reading all the fine print but this didn't
happen 7 years ago when I was using an ATT card in Canada. I just wanted
to let you guys to be aware of this. I should have done what I did with
some of my cash on hand which was to go to a Royal Bank of Canada and have
them change $100 US to Canadian for a $3 fee so that I would have pocket
money.(btw Canadian money is pretty) that would have been cheaper .
Anyway we had a great trip and I wanted to save you guys some cash. Don't
be a dummy like me!