Old February 19th, 2013, 08:22 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Nooffa Subject

Default Carnival Corp. Maintenance

wrote:

I have an idea on how to help prevent these kind of things from
happening. Ain't nobody gonna like it, but it would go a long way in
reducing illness and mechanical breakdowns.

Instead of seven day cruises, shorten them to six days, with a
mandatory one day layover to do maintenance and disinfecting. Every
cruise ship departing from American harbors would be required to have
one layover day per week. Or one layover day per cruise.

The industry can work out the specifics, but these quick turn arounds
are the cause of many of the outbreaks and breakdowns.

February 18, 2013

Dear Carnival Past Guest,

We realize many of you have been following last week's events on the
Carnival Triumph and I wanted to take this opportunity to provide you
with some information. Additionally, I wanted to thank many of you who
have taken the time to write to me personally to express your support.

Let me begin by saying that all of us at Carnival deeply regret the
hardship our guests had to face during their days on board the ship. Our
number one concern was to ensure the safety and welfare of our guests and
crew and to get them home as soon as possible. Our shipboard and shore
side teams worked tirelessly to take care of them and minimize their
discomfort and inconvenience. We also focused on making sure their loved
ones had a direct link to our Family Support Center where they could
obtain round the clock information on their family and friends on board.

Now that all the guests are safely home, our efforts are firmly focused
on the ongoing investigation into the root cause of the fire and what
measures we can take to ensure this does not happen again. These efforts
are taking place in collaboration with the U.S. Coast Guard, the National
Transportation Safety Board, the Bahamian Flag Authority and other
independent parties. We know, however, that preliminary investigations
indicate the cause of the fire was the result of a leak in the fuel
return line for the number 6 diesel generator.

The safety and security of our guests remains of the utmost importance to
all of us here at Carnival. All our ships are safe and secure. All of
them meet, and in many areas exceed, all regulatory standards. I promise
we will continue to investigate in order to understand what took place
and to learn what steps we can take to improve going forward.

During the past week, so many of you have written letters, emailed,
posted on Facebook or tweeted to show your support for all of us here at
Carnival during this difficult time. Your thoughtful comments and words
of support are so greatly appreciated. Thank you. It has really meant a
lot to us.

We know you can choose from a vast variety of vacation options and that
you expect a fantastic vacation from us. We are very sorry that this time
we did not deliver. I want to personally acknowledge how much we
appreciate and value that you have chosen to spend your vacation time
with us at Carnival in the past. We hope you will continue to do so in
the future and are committed to doing everything we can to provide you
with a fun and memorable vacation experience.

Thank you again for your support.

Sincerely,

Gerry Cahill
Gerry Cahill