Old February 20th, 2006, 04:01 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Default Travelocity/Princess Single Penalty

In article 77aKf.809618$xm3.343061@attbi_s21, Odysseus wrote:

In article ,
says...

In article weyJf.783151$_o.98450@attbi_s71, Odysseus wrote:

I mentioned the Celebrity single penalty. Here is one that
Travelocity and Princess have collaborated on.

They are offering a $200 shipboard credit on select sailings.
Here are some details.

"...Single occupancy staterooms will only receive half of the
applicable Onboard Credit amount and only one per stateroom may be
applied..."

"...Based on double occupancy or better. Single guests must pay 200%
of the cruise fare to be eligible for this Offer..."

I have to pay twice the fare but get only half the shipboard credit.
It appears to me that the cruise lines really don't want singles on
their ships.

Princess had 160% supplements on a few different cabin categories. Is
this just a strange one, or is this the wave of Princess' future?

The brochure price, which I don't think anybody pays, is 150%. On the
sale price, the single supplement is 200%. The sale price is is less
than the brochure price even with the 200% supplement. This seems to
be the way all the major lines are doing business now. Princess doesn't
even take out the former scam port charges. The only take out $43
government taxes and fees.

So basically Princess is telling the single/solo traveler to buzz off?
I mean, the supplement is pretty much BS to start with 'cause there is
almost always empty cabins on every cruise, regardless of the signs at
the ports and now they want to jack it UP?

For me, it is simple. I have a travel budget for each year and
unlimited time to spend it. I will choose those travel sites, cruise
lines and other vacation type items that want me there. Looks like
Princess comes off my list as has Celebrity (much as I like them).

There are just way too many cruise ships and lines and deals are out
there when you are flexible, and I am literally free to be just as
flexible as I want to be these days.

I have put a cap on what I think a cruise is worth on a daily basis, and
for the regular lines, it sure isn't $200/day+!!