Old February 20th, 2006, 10:18 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Default Travelocity/Princess Single Penalty

I suspect that, contrary to what "they" say, a single who would travel alone
under those circumstances might very likely avail themselves of more than
their "share" of onboard services, i.e. generating a good amount of onboard
revenue.

Just my opinion of course.

I have cruised both solo and with a friend. As a solo traveler, the ship
has all of my time. Since I don't have to divide my affections between a
person and the ship, I am more likely to spend time in the spa and to gamble.
If I am sailing with another person, we generally hire our own tour guide
ashore. When I travel solo, I will buy cruise line shore excursions. I even
spend more money on drinks when I'm traveling solo. With nobody to talk to
at the bar, I end up drinking faster and drinking more. In the dining room,
I buy my wine by the glass instead of the bottle.

Here is the bottom line for the cruise line bean counters. When I travel
solo the shipboard account for one person is more than the account for two
people when I travel with somebody.