Old April 11th, 2004, 07:10 PM

Default Shopping in New York or Washington?

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 18:59:00 -0400, 127.0.0.1 wrote:

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 19:52:44 GMT, Rita
wrote:
You are an alarmist who knows not of what you speak. Pity, but
if you want to be a clueless wimp, nothing I can do about it.
I'm just sorry when someone like you turns up to discourage
others from fully experiencing our city. Hopefully, no one will
pay any attention to you.

I agree with Rita. One of my sons owns a co-op apartment on Broadway
at 120th. Back when it was bought in 1979 (for $7k!!!) he was a
student at Manhattan School of Music, the old Juliard.

The school brochure included warnings to never load or unload a
vehicle even in front of the school without a security guard present.
That may have been true then - we never tested it - but I can tell you
that 25 years later the area is as safe - and as safe feeling - as any
urban environment I've ever been in anywhere in the world - which is
more than I can say for nighttime strolls in places I otherwise love
such as Brussels or Puerto Plata or Santo Domingo or almost any part
of Mexico City (at any hour).

I still have no fear - and I'm 71 years old - of walking in almost any
area of Manhattan at any hour. Yes - I am never complacent. At three
in the morning I do not dawdle. I walk like and keep the demeanor of
someone purposeful and not to be played with. Anywhere in the world,
I love the energy of crowds - but I do not forget to stay aware of who
and what is nearby and how they are acting.

The subways in New York are well patrolled even though they don't
appear to be. Last summer, only moments after my 17 year old
granddaughter, visiting from an idyllic little town in the far suburbs
of Chicago, had asked me about the apparent lack of cops, we came
around a corner and there were two very touristy-looking women,
complete with the backpacks and water bottles and new white sneakers,
had two very large men up against wall, in handcuffs. Question
answered.

Enjoy Manhattan. Invest one day in a tour bus ride so you can get the
big picture. Get the free subway/bus map given out by subway station
attendant booths. Then revisit selected places in as much depth as
your schedule will allow.

CaribeJoe - Moderator
Non-commercial My Caribbean.Info Forums
Free Caribbean Destination Directories
Free advice from Travel Writers
Post your own trip reports and photos
Hotel and Air Deals and Rough Guide Reports
http://www.mycaribbean.info