Old April 2nd, 2007, 10:47 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
RAK

Default Singapore Airline has boxes installed underneath seats

"grusl" wrote in message

"PeterL" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Apr 1, 7:16 pm, "Tchiowa" wrote:
On Apr 2, 5:10 am, "April 2007" wrote:

I understand Singapore Airline's 747 flying between SFO and Hong Kong
has
entertainment boxes under seats. Can anyone confirm exact box
locations so
that we can avoid it. Thank you.

???

First, the entertainment control is not under the seats. It's in the
galley.

Second, all seat have custom controls and thus some kind of box
attached.

Third, so what? Why would you want to avoid it?

the radiation I am sure. OP can wear a tin foil hat to ward off the
evil rays.

Let me try that again.

I believe the poster is referring to the shoebox sized consructions under
some aisle seats - I think only in wide bodied jets - that can impede your
leg room if you're really tall (doesn't affect me) or reduce space for a
bag if you put it under your feet. I've noticed them in recent years on TG
but don't know about other airlines.

Correct. Shoebox sizes sounds about right.
These boxes are not the actual control unit which is in the galley. I assume
they are some sort of router or wiring hub.
They do get in the way a bit on SQ 747s, but you can still get your feet
under the seat beside the box.
This topic is also in rec.travel.europe and for some reason my replies and
some others about the location of boxes but for some reason those messages
did not post here.