Old January 10th, 2005, 09:35 PM
Erwin Broschinski

Default Myanma:r Mobile Phones OK for Tourists?

during my visit to Myanmar I found that my mobile phone was working on
13th Dec 2004 in Bagan and on 15th Dec in Yangon with "MY Maxis" as
provider - probably a Malaysian company that has a roaming contract with
my Swiss provider "Swisscom". I could even call a friend in Germany!
It was definitely not working in Yangon and Mandalay before those dates,
just showing "Emergency calls only".

Mobile phones - and thus mobile internet connections ;^) - seem possible
now in Myanmar. For tourists only. Local people have hardly a chance to
get a foreign contract/SIM card etc.

Cheers, Erwin