Old September 26th, 2007, 02:31 PM posted to misc.transport.rail.europe,rec.travel.europe
Rian van der Borgt

Default Tickets to San Sebastian via Hendaye and Irun

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 13:09:29 -0000, wrote:
A couple of years back I caught a train from Vigo in Spain to Poro in
Portugal. The ticket office in Vigo actually sold me two tickets - one
from Vigo to the border and another from the border to Porto.

This is normal - although these two are usually united on one piece of
paper.

On the way back, the person at the ticket office in Porto told me that
he couldn't sell me a ticket all the way to Vigo, but only to the
border. I would then have to buy a ticket from the border to Vigo on
the train once the Spanish conductor got on. Curiously, the
combination of the two tickets this way cost a different amount than
they had in the opposite direction.

This can have various reasons:
- The fare on board may be different from the fare at the station.
- The RENFE fare for the Spanish part of the journey may be the domestic
fare instead of the (usually higher) international fare, when sold by
RENFE.

Regards,

Rian

--