Old June 14th, 2004, 01:16 PM
Juliana L Holm

Default Washington DC and New York airports choice (USA)

Pan wrote:
For DC, each airport has its pluses and minuses. Dulles is out in Suburban
Virginia, but it serves the long haul international flights and some
discount airlines such as Jet Blue, Ted now Independence Air. National
(Reagan) is the closest to the city and is on the Metro line into town, but
is limited by a short runway and cannot serve large aircrat such as the 767.
And the proximity to DC also means fares to National are usually higher,
though now some discount airlines fly into it such as Spirit and Air Tran.
BWI is near Baltimore but it's just an hour or so from downtown DC.
Southwest is the largest airline in the airport and you can get some good
fares to there. Going to NYC from DC is probably the best from National
though I personally would recommend the train (Amtrak). It takes you
downtown to downtown in about 3 hours, which is about the same if you fly
taking into considertion the travel required to the airport and the wait.

What Pan said.

National Airport is the most convenient from hostelling in DC, it is on the
metro line, etc. It's also going to be more expensive, probably.

Dulles and BWI are less convenient, but there is public transport to both (ask
here when you know where you are leaving from; I've done all three of the
airports via public transport since I Live walking distance from a metro
station).

But if the point is to go from DC to New York, there is no question that the
TRAIN is the best bet. You get there faster (if you factor in transport time,
and needing to check in early (very earliy if you are flying southwest out of
BWI).

Julie

--
Julie