Old March 29th, 2004, 01:11 PM
Peter Webb

Default When You Hear The Heavy Accent & The Poor Phone Connection... HANG UP!!! ------ 2tDMpvDi

"John L" wrote in message
news
You seem to base all your arguments on how I think, what I buy,
& what my occupation is. Therefore your arguments have absolutely no
validity, as you have no idea what I buy, how I think or my
profession.

Look back at the thread. You speculated on my employment - specifically that
I worked for a telco or Bank. I did not speculate on yours.

Perhaps you would like to give some validity to those
spurious statements by stating what my profession is

Ummm where did I do that? No its not "or is [he]
simply employed in one of these industries as a manager". That was YOU
speculating on MY employment.

Forgetting which side you are arguing on?

& what brand of
shoe I wear, I don'y buy inferior products or your inferior arguments.

Try to stick to facts & don't impose your fantasies regarding the
buying habits & thoughts of other people. It appears you believe a
little spin makes your own arguments appear more legitimate.. Your own
hypocrisy is breathtaking.

Gee, so I guess this is put up or shut up time. Do you buy Australian made
shoes? From where? How much did they cost?
How about your clothes - made in Australia, or at an overseas factory? Of
course, your kids toys - no doubt all made in Australia?

Unless you have never bought a pair of shoes that cost less than $300 (and
this is the time and place to state this is true), you have made an economic
cost-cutting decision to use an outsourced offshore supplier - exactly the
same behaviour as you critisice the Banks for. This makes you a "greediest &
most socially immoral entity" - somewhat worse than the Banks and telcos, as

1. They are not flaming hypocrites
2. You did it long before you did
3. They act this way to save some-one else's money - their shareholders -
you do it for completely selfish reasons.

If you support overseas call centres why do you call the Indians
idiots for playing Indian music, would it be better in your eyes if
they conned people into believing they were in Australia.

Better for them, yes. Because there are people who (rightly or wrongly)
believe that the call centre industry should be protected from overseas
competition.

Your attempt
to add a little (cough) racism says more about your own moral outlook
than any of your spurious arguments. You'd do Warney proud with your
spin.

It's more than a little curious why the companies would prefer their
customers not know the call centres were overseas. Could it be they
are aware of the slippery moral grounds for outsourcing?

No. Its purely a matter of business. They win no friends in Australia by
moving their call centres offshore. Doesn't of course mean that they are
wrong to do so, its just that they have better things to do than explain
macro-economic theory to bozzos on newsgroups.

Where is the
benefit to the Australian consumer when it puts other Australians out
of work & the taxpayer has to foot the unemployemnt bill.

John L.

Everybody else in the developed world understood this argument 50 years ago.

Lets take it from the top.

Q) How is moving a call centre offshore morally different to moving a shoe
manufacturing facility offshore?

Or do you think Australia should prohibit the importation of shoes,
textiles, pharmaceuticals, factory equipment, aircraft, industrial
chemicals, software, and patent rights from overseas? Alternatively, if you
think that these industries should be open to offshore competition, explain
to me just one more time why call centres should be protected when none of
these other (strategically more important) industries are not?

Do that, and you can kick my arse with the $400 shoes, hand made in the
Strand Arcade, that you are presumably wearing.