Old June 23rd, 2005, 07:30 PM
Hatunen

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 09:12:25 +0300, valtsu
wrote:

Gregory Morrow wrote:
Hatunen wrote:

The distance from Helsinki is about 1000 km (about 600 miles).
There are no freeways and you will drive through the center of
most towns. Fortunately, the towns are few and far betweenaand
most are small. The road signs are in Finn, one of the more
unfathomable languages in Europe. While English is widely spoken
in Finland in general, the further you get from Helsinki or
cities like Oulu the fewer English-speakers you will run across.

Allow me to plug the EXCELLENT Finnish Road Administration site (check out
the road webcams, you'll feel as if you are in Finland!):

www.tieh.fi/eindex.htm

"Finnra is responsible for Finland's public road network. Finnra´s mission
is to provide smooth, safe and environmentally friendly road connections. On
these pages you will find general facts about the Finnish road network,
information about road and weather conditions, transport permits as well as
research and development."

Why not take a train one way and drive the other way. Overnight
train-car package between Helsinki and Kemijärvi costs some 200 - 300
euros one-way, and it includes transportation of car and a sleeper
compartment for three passengers. With fuel prices hovering around EUR
1.15 - 1.25 per litre it's a good deal not to speak of saved time and
personaö comfort.

http://www.vr.fi/heo/eng/hinnat/hinnat.htm click "car-carrier"

I should have mentioned that myself. Load your car on at Helsinki
and get it back up north. But I think it makes even more sense to
rent the car in Rovaniemi. You could drive it back, but I don't
know what sort of drop off fee there might be for one-way usage.