Old January 17th, 2005, 05:46 AM

"My main problem is the subways. I studied the maps like mad, and I
still don't really understand them...!"

If you ever need directions, just ask the subway staff - they're very
helpful. Almost everything of interest to visitors is on either the
Yamanote line (the circular one that goes around the city), the Hibiya
line (grey) or the Ginza line (yellow) - don't worry about trying to
find shortcuts, since crossing the city only takes a few minutes by any
of the lines.

"Day 2 Tokyo AM: Tour-- We are supposed to cover Tokyo Tower, Imperial
Palace Plaza, and the Asakusa Kannon Temple and end up in the Nakamise
Arcade - I am not sure how large the tour group is going to be. I wish
we did
the Tokyo Tower last, then we could skip it. I sort of want to see the
Imperial Palace and Asakusa Kannon Temple."

Can you still drop the tour? It's easy to get to and explore the
Asakusa Kannon Temple by yourself, and the market street leading up to
it is very interesting - you might want more time in that area, which
also includes many traditional Japanese craft shops. The Imperial
Palace and most of the park surrounding it are closed to visitors
except for two days a year, and the closest you can get the rest of the
time is a distant glimpse of the Palace from one corner of that park,
so I wouldn't really call it a must-see experience for someone on as
short a schedule as you are.

"Day 3 Tokyo (free day)
AM: would like to go to Ghibli Museum in Minatara. I have to get to
Shinjuku station from Roppongi, I think."

Never heard of that museum. There two excellent museums in Tokyo
itself that you might want to consider - the Edo-Tokyo Museum, which
tells Tokyo's history, and the Tokyo National Museum, which is the
premier collection of traditional Japanese art.

"On the way back, I think I might stop by Nakano for anime shopping if
time permits or I might have to skip and move onto Shinjuku or Shibuya
or Harujuku in the evening. B/c I need to do one of those!!! However,
this is all depending on whether I even get the tix to the museum."

In the evening, definitely choose Shinjuku. It's the image of Japan
that most people have in mind - neon, crowds, noise, action, and it's
streets are full of revolving sushi restaurants, karaoke parlors, and
traditional Japanese bars.

If any of your days in Tokyo happen to be weekends, Harajuku and
Shibuya have some very interesting people-watching opportunities - they
are the center of Japan's youth subcultures. Harajuku also has a
beautiful Shinto Shrine. On a weekday or at night, they're much less
interesting.

"I am wondering if I should abandon the tour day in Tokyo altogehter as
Bob M. mentioned... would it be horrible not to see Asakusa
Temple/Imperial Palace? I was a history major, but I also love
fashion, cosmetics, and anime..."

Maybe spend half a day in Asakusa? It depends on whether it's
important to you to see the traditional side of Japan as well as the
modern side.

Since you're interested in fashion, you might want to check out the
neighborhood Daikanyama, which has many independent designers.