Old January 25th, 2005, 08:36 PM
Bob Myers

"koneko" wrote in message
oups.com...
I think we might leave our suitcases in Tokyo, and take overnight bags
to Kyoto, to spare us the agony of lugging the luggage around, do you
think that will be feasible? (I read all the above, and I get stressed
just thinking about finding storage for the luggage on the
shinkansen... I am so Type A, I'd probably mow down everyone in sight
to get into the Shinkansen first, so I could get space for the
suitcase, and darn it, I'm on vacation, LOL!!)

LOL...OK, a couple of words about getting on the
shinkansen at Tokyo station.

The shinkansen (which, by the way, simply means "new
express line," so yes, there are also "kansen" trains although
you rarely if ever hear THAT term used to identify them!)
leaves from platforms 14-23 at Tokyo station; these are the
eastmost platforms, so if you're entering the station from the
usual west side (Marunouchi) gates, you'll have to pass the
"regular" platforms (the Yamanote line, Chuo line, etc.) to
get to the shinkansen platforms. By the way, you can get
a map of Tokyo station and other major Tokyo-area
stations from:

http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/estation/index.html

You'll need to show your shinkansen ticket (or run it
through the machine) to get into the station in the first place,
but then you will also need it to access the shinkansen
platforms. Just before you go up to the platform itself
(and make sure you have the right one for the train you'll
be on - there's a big electronic display, though, that will give
this information in both Japanese and English just after you
enter the shinkansen part of the station), there's an area
with a fairly good choice of food stalls, where you can get
your ekiben for the trip if you like. (Once on the platform,
there are just a few kiosks without nearly as good a
selection!) On the platform, look for the signs over the
platform and ON it which will tell you where each car of
the train will be stopping; there's also usually a place clearly
marked where you can line up for that car. As long as you're
on the platform, say, 15 minutes in advance, you should have
no problem at all getting in line so that you'll have a good
choice of places to put your luggage. (You can also get some
good pictures of the shinkansen pulling into the station, but
be careful about getting too close to the edge of the platform!)

It should be feasible
to take a subway to Tokyo station then, right?

It's feasible - and you'll probably want to check that route
out BEFORE you make the trip to catch the shinkansen -
but just remember that carrying your luggage down to,
onto, inside of, and back up from the subway may be more
of a pain than you want to deal with. You'll have to weigh that
against the cost of the taxi.

Awww! You're going to be going to Japan too?? I am so sorry that we
will miss each other, it would have been so neat to meet an internet
friend! Will you be there during the big vacation time? That ought to
be very exciting! May I ask if you are visiting for business or
vacation?

Business, and as it turns out it doesn't look like I'll be going
to Japan this trip after all - just Korea and Taiwan.

Good luck with your trip, though, and I hope you'll let us all
know how it turned out!

Bob M.