Old February 3rd, 2004, 03:06 PM
Iceman

Default Bangkok or Hongkong

(Ruchika) wrote in message . com...
Hi,

I have to book a ticket to India and the two options that I have are
either to go thru Bangkok or thru Hongkong.. Thru Hongkong, there is a
stopover of 10 hrs in Hongkong and thru Bangkok the stopover is approx
7 hours.. If I were to go see the city, any suggestions on which
route would be better considering the amount of time I have to see the
city? Does anyone know if I'll need a visa to get out of the airport
at both these places? What places are worth visiting at these two
places?

Either one would be worthwhile.

The advantage of Bangkok is that most of the major sights are right
next to each other. While you would need a few days to really see the
city, in 7 hours, you could see the Temple of the Emerald Buddha, Wat
Po and its giant reclining Buddha, the Grand Palace, and the Lak Muang
(sp?) shrine, and eat authentic Thai food and have a Thai massage.

In Hong Kong, there aren't really any must-see sights; it's more a
city of interesting neighborhoods and experiences. HK has great
restaurants, and lots of temples and traditional Chinese craft shops.
In 10 hours, you could take the "Peak Tram" for a great view of the
city, then take the Star Ferry to the mainland for a view of the
island's skyscrapers, then walk around both the frenzied modern
neighborhood of Tsim Sha Tsui, and the markets and craft shops of Yau
Ma Tei. Then go for dim sum and tea, or have some of the best Chinese
food anywhere in the world.