Old June 9th, 2004, 08:14 PM
Sjoerd

Default Advice re hotels in BKK please...

"Tchiowa" schreef in bericht
om...
"Sjoerd" wrote in message

"Tchiowa" schreef in bericht
om...
"Sjoerd" wrote in message

"Tchiowa" schreef in bericht
om...
???? Notice that he said Bangkok, not some smaller city. A fairly
cheap tourist hotel in Bangkok is $50.

Bull****. Last month, we stayed in a clean, nice twin-bed room,

downtown
Bangkok, certainly 3 star hotel, large bathroom with bathtub, TV,

minibar,
safe in the room, jacuzzi on the roof of the hotel, for 980 baht

(EUR
20,
USD 24) for the room per night, nice buffet breakfast included.

Which is a "cheap tourist hotel". Other "cheap tourist hotels" like
the Nana charge around 40, for example. These are lower end hotels.

For a backpacker that's a reasonable hotel. For the typical tourist
that's not.

I am not a backpacker (anymore). I don't know if we qualify as typical
tourists, but the hotel we stayed is totally adequate for a typical

tourist.
Clean, fairly large room, private bath, minibar, TV, room service, what

else
does a typical tourist want in a city hotel?
It is the kind of hotel room that one would pay USD 200 in New York City

and
over EUR 120 in most European capitals for.

This may have been adequate for you and that's great. But please don't
try to tell the group that you got the same type of hotel that you
would pay $200 for in the US for $24 in Bangkok.

That's almost exactly what I tell the group: the quality of the USD 190
hotel in NYC that I stayed in June 2003 was actually worse than the quality
of the USD 24 hotel in BKK: smaller room in NYC, no breakfast included in
NYC, everything else similar quality.

$200 in New York or 120 Euros in "most European Capitals" gets you a 5
star hotel. 980 baht will not get that for you in Bangkok. You
labelled the hotel 3 star. Big difference between 3 star and 5 star.

Very small difference actually, unless you care for fountains and marble in
the lobby. I stay in 5 star hotels all the time for work, and I have told my
boss to book a 3 star hotel for me long ago (our travel department is not
willing to do that), because the difference between 5 star and 3 star is
almost non-existent as far as the important aspects of a hotel are
concerned.

The 980 baht room may have been fine for you and that's great. Do you
mind naming the hotel?

Yes, I do mind, because it is almost always fully booked and I don't want to
advertise that hotel too much as I would like to stay there again.

Sjoerd