Old November 27th, 2005, 02:30 PM posted to rec.travel.asia

Default Bangkok

Tchiowa wrote:
Chris Blunt wrote:

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 12:14:34 +0200, "Markku Grönroos"
wrote:

"Tchiowa" kirjoitti
ooglegroups.com...

If the original poster takes nothing else from this thread I hope he
takes the simply advice to avoid Khao San Road like the plague. You
couldn't find a worse area in Bangkok.

Bull. There should be nothing wrong with this 400 meter long strip. For
instance many areas close to Sukhumvit Road and Patpong are are a zillion
times worse.

It's a cesspool.

Something I do like about Khao San Road is that its one of the few
places that have both ordinary Thais and foreigners mixing and
enjoying themselves.

You can't be serious, Chris. I hope you're not getting into the
backpacker "you have to live poor to see the *real* Thailand" mantra. I
mix with and have a good time with ordinary Thai every day and never
get near Khao San Road. I mix with Thai in my apartment complex, at
work, in restaurants near my home, in my wife's village up north,
everywhere. You don't have to hang out with unemployed drug addicts
travelling the world on their parents money in order to associate with
"real Thai".

The only Thai you'll see on Khao San Road are those who are "on the
game". Normal, average, ordinary Thai despise the place. The Thai that
go there know that a high percentage of the farang in Khao San Road are
drug or alcohol abusers and usually young, new to Thailand and
incredibly naive. Suckers waiting to be taken.

Are you people talking about my hotel. Stayed there several years
ago and enjoyed it quite well.
http://www.r24.org/bangkok.nu/bangkok/nanahotel/

--

BILL P.