Old October 10th, 2003, 11:30 PM
Chris HIll

Default Buy backpack with frame or not?

Hello Lehar:
The best pack for you is found by trying them on for fit. I have two packs
one external for long hauls, one internal for mountianeering. Don't be shy
once you're in the store, put some weight in the pack have the retailer show
you the adjustment features, and walk around for a while.

Chris

"Lehar V. Osvald" wrote in message
om...
I need a backpack to go traveling with. I need to put my laptop
computer in it (to help disguise it and hence prevent theft), but
don't want the kind of backpack thats designed to carry a laptop. I
will put the laptop in its padded case and put the case inside the
backpack. I also want the backpack to hold lots of other stuff too, so
it has to be fairly big.

I don't know anything about backpacks, unfortunately. I've always used
cheap ones and I have one problem with them--my back sweats heavily
and this gets the pack dirty after a while. I have started shopping
and I see that there are packs with two long aluminum things attached
beneath the shoulder straps. I assume this is what is called an
"external frame" backpack.

Can anyone tell me what the advantage is of a backpack with a frame
over one that doesnt have a frame? In my case, putting a heavy (12
pound) laptop in the case, along with a lot of other stuff, is an
external frame going to help this be easier to carry? But what do I do
when I want to give the backpack a bath? How can you water-clean it
with those aluminum things stuck in there? The ones I saw in the
(cheap) store did not seem to be removable, but I could be wrong.

I think I read somewhere that the external frame prevents the back
sweating problem. Is this true?

Thanks for your assistance.