Old February 7th, 2004, 10:51 AM
nightjar

Default "Americans not getting bang for buck in Europe"

"freeda" wrote in message
I read an article on this in a UK broadsheet. Apperently, if you want

Digital Camera, an iPod, and a laptop computer, you can save about

500-700
GBP, more than worth it since a return from London to NYC is under 200

GBP
and it is only a 7 hour flight.

And you have to be lucky at UK customs, too.

I didn't think luck came into it. If you only have a few items for

personal
use, I was always under the impression the no import duty/VAT was payable.

Up to a value of £145, that is true. Over that, you are liable to pay UK
import duty and VAT, but you should also be able to claim back any taxes you
paid in the USA when you export the goods.

Well personally I have never decared anything and I have never been
searched/questioned when returning to the UK.

You probably weren't giving off any of the signals that people do when they
know they shouldn't be smuggling stuff :-)

Colin Bignell