Old June 24th, 2011, 04:24 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim....

Default Recommendations for car rental from Athens Airport

"Martin" wrote in message
On Fri, 24 Jun 2011 11:35:00 +0100, "tim...."
wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
. ..
On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 18:32:57 +0100, "tim...."
wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
m...
On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 11:46:57 +0100, "tim...."
wrote:

"Mike Lane" wrote in message
rginmedia.com...
Dan Stephenson wrote on Jun 19, 2011:

Hello, in the Fall I will travel to Greece, flying into Athens and
heading to the Pelopponese by car, for maybe 10 days.

There are several car rental places at the airport: Avis, Budget,
Hertz, National/Alamo and Sixt.

Can anyone recommend one more than the rest? I wouldn't be buying
the
high-dollar collision damage waiver.

Thanks,

Wouldn't you be better off travelling to the Peloponnese by public
transport
and renting a car from there? That's what I did a few years ago. You
would
save yourself the trouble and expense of driving through Athens
which
is
place to be avoided these days as far as possible.

I took a ferry from Piraeus to Porto Heli - a small place on the
east
coast
of the Peloponnese near Spetses - and hired a car there for a week.
It
was
very relaxed experience compared to the hassle of Athens.

Athens airport to the Peloponnese is 100% motorway.

The only time you'll have to stop is to pay the toll

Why waste time driving and paying per kilometre, if you can start from
a more convenient place?

As the options for this more convenient place a

1)Taking the bus to the Peloponnese presumably from Athens bus station.
Any
idea where that is? I'll wager it isn't very convenient
2) Flying to Kalamata. Hm, I wonder how many flights a day that gets
from
London/New York or wherever it is that the OP is starting.

I flew from South America via Paris to Athens and changed planes to
get to Kalamata.

and how much waiting around at Athens did you have to do? (Skyscanner
show
one flight a day)

One hour.
How long would it have taken & cost to hire a car and drive to
Pylos? Getting off intercontinental flights hiring a car and driving
a long distance in Greece is a recipe for suicide.

And how much did it add to the cost?

Zero.

Then you were lucky.

ATM skyscanner is showing flights from London to Kalamata as costing over
400 pounds (return), whether booked for next week or three months time, all
requiring an overnight in Athens to actually make the connection.

Direct to Athens available from around 200.

tim