Old May 1st, 2013, 10:31 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dave Smith

Default scandinavia

On 30/04/2013 8:32 AM, Tom P wrote:

It's to stop passengesr arriving from countries with inferior security
smuggling explosives and weapons into the airport.

And to **** off many buying duty free (liquids) at airports outside
Europe...

That is most certainly true. If you have a connecting onward flight,
you have to make sure when you buy duty free liquids that the vendor
seals them in a tamper-free bag good enough to satisfy security checks.
There is a way round it - you go out of the security area at the
transfer airport, and check the stuff in for the second leg.

I don't know about that. Personally I don't understand why you can't
take on duty free goods unless they are from the airport where you are
boarding, but I suppose someone can make a good argument concerning why
it is okay to take a duty free flammable liquid from that airport's duty
free store but not from one at another airport.

The last time I was in Europe was four years ago. I was flying from
Copenhagen to Toronto with a connection at Schipol. I guess I got
confused at Schipol because I ended up walking right out the front door.
We had to go through security to board for the Toronto leg of the journey.