Old January 29th, 2004, 03:08 PM
BAC

Default Tanzania ....got 4 weeks to play with .....Thanks

Ya, understood, it a little scary driving in 3rd world countries. We'll see
what happens. Having a (good) guide can make your trip so much more alive.
Its still nice to feel the freedom of a rented car. It helps to have a
traveling companion as a navigator and to tell you when your on the wrong
side of the road. Left handed roundabouts always screw me up. I like what
Hans has to say about taking a GPS in Africa, makes sense. If you get lost
just follow the arrow back the way you came.

"Liz" wrote in message
In message
"BAC" wrote:

Scarily expensive. I know I'll have to drop a buck or two I just got to

get
over the pricing and go for it. World Wide has got my knees

shaking....hang
on, take a deep breath and slowly open the wallet ;-)

Remember, these prices are based on expensive accommodation.
Also probably the flights from UK are included, whereas I've noticed that
sometimes with US safari pricings, flights are extra (depends on the
company). In the UK, it often seems to make sense to book flights with the
same company, as they have usually negociated discounts.

Thanks for the info...I keep thinking that when you break down the
cost...park fees, transportation cost, guides, driver, food and lodging

plus
profit it all adds up. I usually will rent a car for a couple of days

when
I'm on the road to break away form the pack...have any advice on a short
road trip?

Someone else will have to advise.
For the safari (game viewing) part of the trip, the guide is more than

worth
his pay, which is very little by our standards anyway. Then, of course,
you're paying for his accommodation (usually in drivers' quarters) and

food
too.
For the other things you're interested in, it might be worth doing it
yourself, I wouldn't do it, and not only because I have no vehicle
maintenance/repair skills! Others do it, though.
I'd consider it in Namibia if I weren't on my own, but not in East Africa.

Liz
--
Virtual Liz at http://www.v-liz.co.uk
Kenya; Tanzania; India; Seychelles; Namibia