Old November 12th, 2007, 12:33 PM posted to rec.travel.air
John Kulp

Default Tipping in USA/Canada

On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 20:57:10 -0800, "Capt. Del"
wrote:

As a Brit, personally I'm embarrassed to tip. It's not what I was
brought up doing. We expect to tip but very discreetly.
But that's not the American way.
The American way is to brandish the tip like a fiery sword, making
sure everybody can see how great a tipper you are. The bigger the tip
the greater the guy you are.

Talk about arrogant stupidity. You should be embarrassed for accusing
all Americans of acting like this. It would be no different than if I
said all Brits are thugs because of what a few football fans act like.
Real genius you are.

Staff at restaurants and bars accept the minimum wage knowing that the
real wages are in the tips.
Restaurant owners know that staff are fighting for the job and would
even take the job for nothing, but they are legally compelled to pay
the minimum wage.
There are some establishments that stop paying even the minimum wage
if a certain figure of tips is reached.

Name one.

It's not uncommon for a cute barmaid to make $1,000 a week in tips.
Watch out! If she touches you or laughs at your jokes expect to double
the tip and don't ever give loose change.

Name one.

The way to think about it is, this is not a tip, this is the cost of
service.
Welcome to America!

No, in your case, stay home.