Old April 2nd, 2009, 03:35 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dan Stephenson

Default Europe motoring atlas recommendations sought

On 2009-03-31 03:36:45 -0500, Giovanni Drogo
said:

On Mon, 30 Mar 2009, Dan Stephenson wrote:

Hello, I am planning a long trip in Europe by car, and I would like
your recommendations for a motoring atlas. Actually, several.

For Italy, nothing beats the TCI (Italian Touring Club) Atlante
Stradale (Road Atlas). Consult their web site (although slightly
awkward to navigate). There is a "Punto Touring" with bookshop in all
major italian cities, and there are "succursali" (subsidiary bookshops)
in many other places.

This is a link in English
http://www.touringclub.com/ENG/Trave...d_Atlases.aspx

This

is a result of the search form in italian for "Atlante stradale"
http://www.touringclub.com/ITA/viagg...nte%20stradale

I'm

not sure whether there is a separate English edition (as for some
guides). I know the Italian one (mine, at least my last, since it is
periodically sent to TCI members, is almost all maps, and has
quadrilingual captions at the front). I've seen two separate versions :
one has north and south in two separate volumes, with motorway diagrams
at the front. The other had north, centre and south in three volumes,
with city maps at the end.

Grazie mille, Giovanni. Fortunately, I do not think there is too much
of a language barrier when it comes to road maps!

I'm really interested visiting Roman and if possible Greek ruins. I've
been to Rome, Pompeii, Herculaneum, and Paestum, and "all" the Greek
sites in Sicily. Does these TCI atlases indicate where ruins like
these are located? you see, I like stringing together visits to places
like that and scenic-drive in between.

Thanks,
Dan

--
Dan Stephenson
Photos, movies, panos from the Europe, USA, plus N.Z.:

(remove nospam from email address to reply via email)