Old July 19th, 2013, 08:32 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim.....

Default Spain: train reservations

wrote in message
Okay, now I have to apologize for posting this twice, the first time under
the wrong subject header.

Plans are to travel by train in September, Barcelona-San
Sebastian-Madrid-Barcelona over a span of 12 days. I think I've already
figured out that booking individual tickets is cheaper than the
Eurail-Spain pass.

But each of those three journeys will need a reservation, I see. Can
someone advise as to how much lead time I must allow for those bookings?

I have called the Canadian agent for Eurail, and was told that their
access to booking various departure times is limited. I assume that if I
book after arriving in Spain, I will have wider access. But is it safe to
reserve at the station, within 2-3 days before one's planned departure?
Are the trains often filled to capacity?

AVE services are often full, though it is usually possible to get tickets on
the day for the next service. so booking 2-3 days ahead should guarantee you
your preferred service. Obviously this doesn't apply at the really really
busy days of the year like Easter

However, tickets are cheaper the further ahead you book so you would be
advised to consider doing so. You don't need a TA you can do it online for
yourself, though I forget what the "pick up" arrangements are.

Cross country services are pre-bookable, but you shouldn't have any problem
booking on the day, they aren't anywhere near as full as the "Madrid"
services IME.

HTH

tim