Old May 22nd, 2006, 06:04 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Default Suggestions for Italy/France for late June to early July (16 days)

Andris Kalnins schrieb:

My girlfriend and I will be flying into Milan Malpensa late June and
leaving after 16 days in early July from the same airport. We'll have a
rental car, a tent and sleeping bags and we intend to stay at
campgrounds to manage the budget.

We enjoy:
a) day-hikes (e.g., Ordesa N.P.)
b) old towns, castles and fortresses (e.g., Le Pays Cathare)

We don't enjoy places which are too crowded and touristy (e.g., most if
not all cities, Carcassonne in July, Costa Brava).

I'd really appreciate your suggestions on where to go.

Right now I'm considering:
1) Massif Central and Cevennes N.P (quite a long way away)
2) The French or Western-Italian Alps (not sure which of the regions to
pick, really)
3) Provance
4) Corsica via Genoa (I'm concerned about getting on the ferry without
reservations)

Massif Central and Cevennes is a you mention kind of
long[er] trip, Corsica [I would choose La Spezia rather
than Genova, but even then] is relatively long and probably
the most expensive option (ferries and cost of living
in Corsica), important part of Provence will be hot and
overcrowded in July .... looks like best option to consider
is Provence to start your vacation in June and then
West Alps for the second part in July

As you already have seen Macon, Annecy and liked
it, I would suggest driving from Malpensa to Southern
Provence, enjoy the time before the main tourist rush
for then driving North/NE to spend the July part of
your vacation in the Alps, mainly the border area
between France, Italy and Switzerland (Vanoise, Col
du Petit-St-Bernard, upper Aosta-Valley), add some
detour to Switzerland for mainly the wine producing
region above lake Geneva between Lausanne and
Villeneuve and further to Aigle, via La Forclaz and/or
Grand-St-Bernard pass road. If you then still should
have time left, continue East for either some days in
Piemonte or via Switzerland (several options) to
Milano